Sunday, July 5, 2009

I Want A Love Story

Recently I have been pondering love stories. I would love to have one like Harry and Sally or Sleepless in Seattle. Yes, these are Hollywood versions of love, but being the romantic I am I 100% believe in these stories. I don't know if I believe in love at first sight (being that I want a when harry meet sally story I think love surprises us) but I do believe in a love story.

Everyone I know who is in a lasting loving marriage has a love story. Some are mundane, but when they tell you how they meet it sounds magical. Some are magical and make you realize that the movies have nothing on real life love and the trials and tribulations people go through to find it. My parents for example, both had there hearts smashed in their first marriages. My mother had all but given up on finding someone to spend her life with; when my stepfather came along professing his love she all but threw him out of our house. He persisted and pursued her for a year. Working on himself and getting to know my mother and her kids and won a place in all of our hearts. For what I put him through he should win a meddle. Then there is my grandmother whose spouse, my grandfather, who recently passed away. Their how they meet story isn't anything special but their love story their life together and the family they created out of their love story is something spectacular. So criticize the romantics all you want, but never doubt that there are amazing love stories out there. That is what I want and that is what you should want too.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy watching romantic movies but so far, whenever I've encountered romantic motions in real life I've felt smothered by them. Maybe I felt they weren't genuine. I'm kinda like your mom: you have to really prove yourself over a long period of time. Flowers and chocolates aren't gonna cut it.

    But I see love stories everywhere. I saw this quirky indie film last night: King of California. I think you'd enjoy it. It was very touching because it was a father/daughter love story. It was about what we give up for the people we love and how we forgive even the worst in people we love.

    I have a love story with my dog. She was a stray and there was nobody to foster her. I had fostered dogs before but it was the worst timing because I was working and doing movies and I had just bought my house. My sister said that she would foster her and then changed her mind. So I reluctantly said that I would do it because they said she would get adopted fast. It was love at first sight. I knew I would adopt her even though I resisted it for so long because I was broke and didn't have any time. The first time I went out of town and left her with my roommate she wouldn't eat for a week. My dog and me were meant to be together. It was destiny.

    Anyways. I agree. You need to feel that sense of destiny in relationships and there needs to be a certain ease. There will be a certain ease when it is right. I always feel uneasy and try too hard to make it right when really it was just wrong from the get-go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just asked my grandparents how they met. and they don't remember. They remember who introduced them but they don't remember how they actually met. I find it really sad - I mean I know they've been together for 60 odd years but to not remember?????

    I am totally a romantic. It got to the point on the dating site that if someone asked me what I was looking for I'd say "to fall in love - i know it is unlikely...but that's the truth" it weeded out the one night stands fast like lightening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deidre- I wish that me being totally honest like that would get the one night stands to drop out. I hate wasting a month on dates and falling for someone just to find out that when I say so what are we doing I find out we want different things. I have found I'm a bit to up front with my feelings, but hey it's who I am so I guess if they can't handle that they can't handle me.

    ReplyDelete