Monday, October 26, 2009

Running For Love....

Well I promise to write more about my marathon, but really running 26.2 miles over 5 hours and 25 minutes makes for a little bit of a boring post. However, I was just watching the news and there was a story of a women who is running the NYC marathon for love. You heard me right she decided to run 26.2 miles to find someone. It's funny because I ran the marathon for the complete other reason. I needed something to distract me from my search and she is doing it for her search. I was doing it to run away from love (not really true but close to it) and she is doing this crazy thing for the complete other reason. Running to me keeps me from focusing on things that drive me crazy and searching for a mate is one of those.

Yet, after seeing this story I was thinking of joining a running club. I have slacked a little on the running front, but I'll give myself a pass since I just ran a marathon. I plan on hopping back on the treadmill for a short run sometime this week. I'm not running for love I think that would probably make running awful for me. I'm running to drop the last 25-30 pounds and maybe meet some new friends. I didn't really focus on being social until the actual marathon weekend, but now that I'm back and think I made some good friends over that weekend I was thinking that perhaps running for friends isn't that bad of an idea. I need people to run with on Saturdays and I need people who want to do crazy runs like the Emerald Nuts run on New Years Eve in Central park. So after seeing running for love I've decided that why not run for friends. Running is something I love and it is nice to share that with a group of people.

3 comments:

  1. Props Meg!

    Really great to meet you through Deidre's blog.

    I had to surf over and write you because I just walked away from a masters (for the second time too!) in NYC. I'd be proud if I were you to walk away from NYU! :P Which program were you in?

    It feels great to have free time and sleep again (my masters was GRUELING - worse than a full-time job!) but it's sad not to be getting a masters. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!
    I was just reading your blog. I think giving up on a free one would be so much easier. I was paying for mine so walking away from it cost me almost 100,000 and that was in loans so lets multiple that. I think in the long run you just have to do what makes you happy. Look at it this way you got to figure out that it isn't making you happy and it didn't cost you a thing. I am 3 credits away from my masters at Gallatin and believe me every person I tell this to tells me I'm crazy. I just can't imagine doing what I was doing for a second longer. The only question is what to do next. I can't be a nanny for the rest of my life... or can I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love the idea of running for friends. Running for love. Well, I think it might be better to just run for the love of running and see where that takes you!

    ReplyDelete