Monday, April 20, 2009

I always wanted to go back... Wait, what?

Yesterday I saw one of the most fantastic movies 17 Again.. First, it was the most cheesiest awesome movie I have seen in a long time. Second, all I need to say is Zac Effron's hair... Third, why hasn't Matthew Perry done more since Friends?

Coming back from my week of awesome vacation has been rough on me. It has been really hard for me to adjust to life back in NYC for some reason. I had a fantastic time at "home" and realized that my life and I have blossomed into someone I am happy to be. However, back at my NYC "home" I'm feeling isolated again. I think it is partly because I feel a little stuck. I am working as a Nanny while I try to figure things out. However, this job is really isolating and I have let a lot of things that make me happy fall to the wayside. Mostly it is because I have little to no time to myself. I work from 7 to 7 and have an 30-45 minute commute there and back.

Anyways, I have been recently thinking about things and how to make myself happier and more whole person. I realized that I cannot be happy in a relationship if I am not 100% satisfied with where I am and who I am. If I'm not my own person the idea of an us consumes me. I think this is what happened recently. I had a life, but not much of one and Amazing Guy came and filled a void. I need to fill that void on my own. I am not someone who needs a guy to complete me or wants a guy to complete me. A romantic relationship, in my opinion, is suppose to add to you. Your partner contributes to helping you achieve your dreams, but you do not depend on them to complete you as a person. I think that because I felt like I had nothing else going for me when I first started seeing Amazing Guy I put all my energy into him. I didn't go crazy. I wasn't texting, emailing, or calling all the time. I did think though, that he was the answer to all the problems. That is the problem. A person is never the answer to your problems.

What does this have to do with 17 Again? What does this have to do with going back? As I said going home was a wake up call for me. I realized that I had a great life. That I had accomplished lots of things. More importantly I realized that I was ok, if not happy, with being single. I realized that there is still a lot of work that I have to do before I could even remotely commit myself to someone. I also realized that going back "home" is not going backwards. If I'm happy there I shouldn't keep myself from being happy because I think that people expect something different from me. I've started applying for some jobs up in New Hampshire and am debating applying to the MSW program at UNE for the fall. I think I need to change things up again and shockingly I think this means going back... I think there is some unfinished business up there. I mean I always wanted to go back, right?

6 comments:

  1. you're from NH???? ME TOO (shh...let's keep it to ourselves).

    I totally agree with you that being happy by yourself is way important before you can be happy with someone else!

    Matthew Perry was in that super good (well, I thought so) tv show for like 7 episodes (studio 60 on the sunset strip). I adore him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deidre,
    I loved that show.

    I'm actually from Maine, but one of those non Maine towns that is basically NH. My family lives like 15 minutes from Portsmouth. I just applied for a job at UNH.

    Where are you from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny, I basically live in vermont - in a wee town near woodsville. about an hour from Dartmouth. aww, Maine. I love Maine! Well, when I come home in a few months perhaps we should set up a rendezvous?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Megs. I am so excited that you are figuring out what you want to do for you and filing your own void! I always always always feel torn between my home-that-I-grew-up-in and my home-that-I-live-in which are about 2000 miles apart from each other. I have finally just accepted that I will always miss the ocean of home or I will always miss the simplicity of life here. It hurts because I am always homesick but if I didn't have this feeling I would be so empty. I guess I'm just trying to accept that there is "home" everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deidre- We really should try to get together. When will you be stateside? As of right now I live in NYC, but who knows the way my life's been going that could all change fast.

    Singlutionary- You are right about the homesickness but I didn't realize this till a year or two ago. It never goes away, but I think part of that comes from missing the people more then the place. At least for me. I miss my mom and sister and father so much sometimes it hurts but I agree that not feeling this would feel empty. I think it almost would be like you came from nothing.... I don't know if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be in NH and MA from June 16 to July 15 (you can e-mail me at decoybetty@gmail.com if you're interested in trying to figure out something)...


    Can I just say, it feels so good know that others struggle with home too!

    ReplyDelete