Friday, April 24, 2009

Those Clothes Do Nothing For You...

Today when I was walking home I spotted a bunch of girls all tarted up. I have always like that word ever since I read Bridget Jones. Not only were these girls all dressed in really short dresses and really high heels they were acting like idiots. As I was watching this display I thought, "Man I hope I don't look like that when I go out." As I was thinking this, I heard a man behind me say to his wife, "Why do girls think clothes will make them beautiful?" I thought this was an interesting question. As I often do I turned and told him so. I didn't linger long, but I did hear his wife say "Well for some people clothes help."

I thought this was a really interesting, and though I'm sure he didn't mean it like this,an insightful question. Do clothes make you beautiful? Can you be beautiful while wearing an old t-shirt and jeans? Do you have to get all tarted up for a man/boy to even notice you? Do they think you are beautiful or just some easy game? It really is an interesting question. We all learn that clothes and appearance don't make the person. We are suppose to know that beauty comes from the inside, but when we watch TV and see shows like Americas Next Top Model we forget this. So, in order to win someone over we dress to the nines and perhaps look a little slutty. But just remember, clothes do not make you beautiful beauty really is a whole different thing. Just watch Beauty and the Beast... There is a great lesson there.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think it matters so much if the clothes are sexy (or supposed to be sexy) but it's picking clothes that flatter your figure. So picking jeans (or if you're one of the few who hates jeans...ahem, me then pants) that look good on you and a t-shirt that flatters your curves (or if you're me...the lack of curves) you'll look awesome! But you're right more beauty if from within and being confident about who you are and what you're wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that men pay attention to what a girl is wearing or not wearing. Its kinda the law of physical attraction. It goes the same for both genders and for being gay or straight: if a person is dressed up really nice or has a typically ideal body and is showing it off, they're going to turn heads.

    But that doesn't equate with beauty. Beauty is a lot more complicated than fashion or sex appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it does come down to confidence though. You could be wearing the most amazing sexy dress but if you don't have the confidence to back it up no one is going to notice you anyways.

    ReplyDelete